Home // Toddler Care // Holiday Safety Advice

Holiday Safety Advice

CPCS_Logo_-2010bCalifornia Poison Control System (www.calpoison.org) urges everyone to practice “12 Days for Safety” on each day leading up to December 25th.

12/14 – Make sure your home is “poison proof” if small children are visiting.  Secure all medicines, cleaning products and personal care products before your guests arrive.  Poisonings can occur in the home of grandparents who may not remember how quickly children can move or how inventive they can be in exploring new spaces.

12/15 – Take steps to prevent food poisoning.  Prior to food preparation, clean all counters and cutting boards with hot water & soap, and wash your hands.  After meals, refrigerate food promptly.

12/16 – If you use alcohol or tobacco, make sure these products are out of reach of toddlers.

12/17 – Keep your Christmas tree fresh with water early on, and keep all sources of flame well away from the tree.  Put fresh batteries in all your smoke detectors.

12/18 – Carbon monoxide can be a holiday killer.  Never heat a home with a gas stovetop, gas oven or use charcoal indoors.  Make sure your chimney flue is fully open before enjoying a holiday evening in front of the fireplace. Keep outdoor generators away from windows. Keep flammables away from floor furnaces.

12/19 – Holiday gifts can have flat, coin-shaped batteries. If swallowed, these can cause serious injury.  Keep all batteries away from babies, children and pets!

12/20 – Don’t let babies or pets chew on foil wrapping paper. It may contain lead. Do not throw this paper into the fireplace either.

12/21 – Holiday plants, including mistletoe and holly berries, may cause some mild stomach upset if swallowed.

12/22 – Store and serve food only in containers meant for food, and never put non-food items in food containers.

12/23 – Lead can still be found in new and used children’s products, like toys, backpacks, lunchboxes and jewelry. Find out about product recalls & tested products at www.healthystuff.org.

12/24 – If using snow spray or flocking the tree indoors, be sure to open windows while applying it. Solvents in the spray cans may cause nausea, lightheadedness and headache.

Be Sociable, Share!
Posted in Toddler Care

Comments are closed.